Monday, March 16, 2009

Love it!

I've got some more tales of service. I love this one because they seemed to have a great time with it AND I don't even know this person…it was passed on from one of my friends to their friends.

"My husband was given a brown bag with a movie card in it. Our friend, Ayana who gave it to him explained the rules so he came home and shared the bag with me. I have a dear friend who is a workaholic who forgets to make time for herself so I thought to pass the bag to her. I wanted the bag to be meaningful so I focused on love. I added an agate stone with a card explaining the virtues of agate for clearing one's spirit from anger and making way for love. The card also had instructions on how to cleanse the stone for one's use. I also put two jasmine tea bulbs for her to enjoy with someone and some oolong rose tea. She loved the little brown bag surprise as much as I enjoyed preparing it. However, the best part of my story concerns my 3 year old son who was so inspired by my little project that he decided to make his own "special bag." He selected to give a jasmine tea bulb to a woman I work with. We had seen her the day before and she was on his mind. He wanted to pick a pretty bag, so he grabbed a bright blue plastic mesh baggie, the kind that garlic bulbs are packaged in at markets, and he put a single jasmine tea bulb in it. Next he picked a ribbon and asked me to tie "pretty" around the baggie for our friend. He was really proud of his baggie and now he wants to make more to give to other people. Your brown bag project is a simple gift, but it has the potential to fill a moment, or days in our case, with wonder, creative impulse and smiles. Thank you!"


 

My mom has also been playing along in her own way. She gives out gift cards to Publix, the supermarket chain in her neck of the woods. Here's what she wrote:

"Today I gave out two Publix gift cards to a man who was preaching on the corner of Glades and St. Andrews in Boca Raton. He blessed me as I gave him the first card and showed me that he lost 40 pounds. Not because he wanted to. I thought he was talking to himself as I closed the window, and that's when I realized that he was spreading the word of Jesus. So I gave him another card. He blessed me again.

I'm sending my best friend Kathy, $200. to buy Publix gift cards for one of her classes to give out as they please. Then, I hope, they write an essay to place on the blog. Updates to follow."

No comments:

Post a Comment