Friday, March 27, 2009

I have just finished making up about 100 bags. They are filled with lots of fun stuff to inspire people to be of service. I am excited to start giving them out.

I've been thinking a lot about what service means. There are a few Merriam-Webster definitions that seem to go along well with this project:

"a: the work performed by one that serves <good service> b:
help , use , benefit <glad to be of service> c: contribution to the welfare of others

the act of serving: as a: a helpful act <did him a service> "

I like the "helpful act" bit along with "contribution to the welfare of others" part. A helpful act can be a smile, a prayer, a donation, a gift, a kind word. The sky is only limited by our imagination and willingness. I like doing this project because I feel like it dares people to think, sometimes outside of the box or their comfort zone, about how they can contribute to the world given what they have. And everyone seems to get really excited about the process. I never imagined that people would be as inspired as they have been to continuing to spread the goodness in their own ways. People are passing on the bags, making their own bags and inspiring others. I think this whole thing is gonna be really fun.

I recommend Carolyn Myss's Invisible Acts of Power for an in depth look at the subject of service.

Here is another awesome tale of service from the amazing Shelley:

"What happened exactly was that I was in Pavilions and there was an older woman (mother) in a wheelchair shopping with what I later learned was her adult daughter.  The mother was really sounding irritated because her daughter was putting items in the grocery cart that the mother was loudly advising that she couldn't afford because she only had $20. The daughter sounded frustrated because her mother was speaking to her in the way only a mother can when a mother is irritated. So, that is when you came to mind Jo Anna, at that moment I remembered that you suggested that we pay it forward. I got the daughter's attention and asked if it would be ok for me to give her the additional $10 to support her with her shopping. I told her about you and your intention to pay it forward ... they just kept saying THANK YOU JESUS! GOD BLESS YOU! GOD BLESS YOUR FRIEND!"


 

No comments:

Post a Comment